Thursday, January 15, 2009

2008 Archive- Infineon Raceway 5/24-25

AFM Round 3: Infineon Raceway- May 24-25

Saturday started with the usual duties, tires and tech. Got the tires and tech done, and got myself ready to ride. Before this weekend I finally got some long awaited parts, but unfortunately I had no testing time to get used to them and optimize the bike set up. These came in the form of a "new to me" used full Arata exhaust system and a quickshifter which allows for full throttle clutch-less upshifts. I got out on the track in my first warm up session, got the tires scrubbed in, and started adapting to the new exhaust system - more power and a lot more noise! At first I was a little disoriented, I wasn't used to how loud the bike was and was shifting prematurely, but by the end of the session it didn't bother me. I wasn't able to get the quickshifter on before this session so this would have to wait for the next session. Unfortunately... it started raining shortly after my first warm up session. Infineon is an unsafe "wet" track, and the rain didn't let up for about an hour. So, practice was canceled for the remainder of the day. Best lap - 1:47.8 - about half a second from my best time in April.

Sunday morning was dry, and fortunately this weather would last the whole day. So, Sunday morning warm up was spent trying to adapt to the new quickshifter. This was very helpful in the straights but proved to hurt more than it helped. For one reason or another the quickshifter wouldn't always work properly, sometimes it would allow for the proper shift and sometimes not. This was a little frustrating and would sometimes cause me to be in the wrong gear in some crucial sections. Still, it was a great morning warm-up and aside from the quickshifter the bike was working well.

Race 1 - 600 Production

I started this race with an excellent grid position of 9th out of 60+ riders. I wasn't used to launching the bike with the extra horsepower and did a wheelie after getting off the line. The little bit of hesitation to bring the wheel back to the ground cost me a few positions. I entered T2 in about 14th place. In the first couple of laps I was able to recover a couple positions by capitalizing on others' mistakes. When someone would run wide or miss a shift I would use it as an opportunity to get by. As the race progressed my rear tire began to fall off. Something wasn't right, either suspension and/or tire pressure, and traction on the right side began to suffer badly. In the last 3 laps two of the riders that I had passed got me back. Then, in the last lap I missed a shift due to the malfunctioning quickshifter and another rider got by. Ultimately finished this race in a personal best 15th and Top Novice in the race. Best lap of 1:46.000 - a time that would've put me on the supersport grid at the AMA race at Infineon a week earlier.

In between the Production and Superbike races Jim from Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning made some significant changes to the shock to help the bike handle better and also to help prevent a new tire from tearing up the way the tire did in the first race. So, I would go out in the next race with a slightly new set up and also a new rear tire.

Race 2 - 600 Superbike

I was gridded 14th of 60+ riders in this race. Again I botched the start, but not as badly this time, and I stuffed a couple riders entering T2 to gain a couple positions back. I had some excellent battles in this race and had a lot of fun! At one point we were three riders wide through turn 7, no one wanting to give an inch! I had more difficulties in this race with the quickshifter, and hit neutral a couple times exiting T11 instead of making a complete shift to 2nd. I ended up abandoning the quickshifter in quite a few places as I couldn't rely on it to make every shift when I needed it. There were quite a few crashes in this race resulting in many standing and waving yellow flags. One bike crashed in T11 and the bike remained right in the middle of the track for the last 3 laps forcing riders to completely alter the line. Still I managed another personal best finish of 14th place and was again the Top Novice in the race. Best lap of 1:46.412 - also would've qualified me for the AMA Supersport race.

All in all it was a great weekend with personal bests in both races. I ultimately went about one and a half seconds faster than my last race weekend at Infineon in April. I would like to give a big thanks to Dave Moss and Jim Williams of Catalyst Reaction for helping during the race weekend, there's no way I could do it without these guys.

Also, I am still actively seeking sponsors to help support me for the remainder of the 2008 racing season. Tires, fuel, and entry fees being the main expense as the bike needs only motor work to be completed for the rest of the season. Please contact me to discuss joint benefits of sponsorship if interested. Or please pass on the word to anyone who may be interested in supporting a young racer at the beginning of what looks to be a great career.

Cheers!

-Michael Pesicka
AFM #417

No comments:

Post a Comment